Travel Insurance Comparison: How to Choose the Right Plan
If you’re unsure which one of our travel insurance plan options best fits your next trip, this travel insurance comparison guide can help you decide. We’ve highlighted what’s included in our plans, pointed out key differences, and included common travel scenarios that each plan is designed for.
Whether you’re planning a quick getaway to the beach or mountains, a cruise or an adventurous international excursion, having the right amount of travel insurance with the backing of a global travel assistance network can help you travel with more peace of mind.
For a quick side-by-side snapshot of plan coverages, coverage limits and assistance services, refer to our travel insurance plan comparison table.
Choosing the Best Travel Insurance Plan
We understand that each traveler and trip is unique, and we’re here to help you every step of the way in selecting the best travel insurance plan for your trip.
Before diving into each plan, it’s helpful to calculate your trip cost . You may also want to visit our easy to navigate Get a Quote form for pricing information. And when choosing a plan, remember that you get a 10-day Free Look period in which you may cancel your plan for a full refund if it doesn't suit your needs, as long as you haven’t left on your trip and no claim has been filed.
What’s Included in All of Our Plans
Our Standard, Preferred and Premium plans include domestic and international Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, coverage for lost, damaged, stolen or delayed bags, Medical and Dental coverages, Emergency Assistance and Transportation, valuable assistance services and more. Plus, each plan can insure up to 10 people. Highlighted here are two important features of each plan:
Travel and Emergency Assistance Services
Many of our customers appreciate our assistance services which includes pre-trip concierge assistance (such as visa, immunization and travel advisory information), on-demand medical service and identity theft resolution (for U.S.-based bank accounts). Plus, our 24-hour Emergency Assistance Services offer on-the-spot and immediate assistance for unexpected problems that can arise during a trip. The Emergency Assistance hotline is available to Generali policyholders 24/7 for help anytime, anyplace while traveling.
Trip Cancellation Coverage
One of the most common reasons people consider travel insurance is the worry that they may have to cancel their trip. Many unforeseen things can happen before your trip even begins, and could prevent you and/or your travel companions from traveling. Trip Cancellation coverage provides reimbursement for unused, non-refundable, pre-paid trip costs if you are prevented from taking your trip due to a covered reason.
Travel Insurance Comparison Guide
To know which plan is best for you, carefully review each plan’s details below. If you run into any issues or need live real-time help in making your decision, our travel insurance experts will be happy to assist you—just contact us!
Our Standard Travel Insurance Plan provides basic coverage and includes these popular coverages and more:
- Trip Cancellation
- Trip Interruption
- Baggage Delay
- Medical and Dental Coverage
- Rental Car Damage (optional add-on coverage)
Best Travel Insurance Plan for:
- Close to home/domestic travel when your primary medical and dental insurances are likely to cover medical expenses
- Direct flights and trips with very few connections
- Healthy travelers who don’t plan on bringing sporting equipment on their trip
- Solo travelers who don’t travel with valuables
Travel Scenario: Planning a short domestic trip to attend a weekend wedding? Our Standard Plan is an economical coverage option, and can reimburse you for 100% of your insured trip costs if you have to cancel your trip due to a covered reason.
Our Preferred Travel Insurance Plan provides the same coverages and assistance services as our Standard Plan, but with higher coverage limits—plus coverages for the delay, loss, theft or damage of Sporting Equipment, and specific trip cancellation coverage in case of the financial insolvency of one of your travel suppliers, like a cruise line or tour company.**
Best Travel Insurance Plan for:
- International trips that require multiple connections
- Domestic or international sports-related trips like skiing, golfing or scuba diving. If you’re traveling with your own equipment, this plan covers loss, theft or damage including paying for rental fees if the equipment is delayed for at least 12-18 hours, depending on the plan purchased. Other conditions may apply.
Travel Scenario: If you’ve planned a hiking trip in Alaska and you’re bringing sporting equipment, our Preferred Plan offers helpful Sporting Equipment Delay coverage and a higher coverage limit for Emergency Assistance and Transportation than our Standard plan—should you or any travel companions need an air ambulance evacuation.
Our Premium Travel Insurance Plan provides the same coverage and assistance services as our Preferred Plan, plus Rental Car Damage coverage included, but also provides the highest available coverage limits—including higher coverage limits for emergencies (such as emergency medical helicopter evacuation from cruise ships), coverage for Pre-Existing Medical Conditions* and Trip Cancellation Coverage For Any Reason as an add-on coverage option.
Best Travel Insurance Plan for:
- International trips to exotic or remote places, as this plan provides the most Medical and Dental coverage—including Emergency Assistance and Transportation
- Longer domestic and international trips with multiple connections, as this plan provides the highest Missed Connection and Trip Interruption coverage amounts
- Travelers who want more flexible trip cancellation options, as this plan is the only one that provides Trip Cancellation for Any Reason coverage as an optional add-on at extra cost, if you meet certain requirements
- Trips that include traveling with valuable items, as this plan provides the highest baggage coverage amount
- Older travelers and/or travelers with pre-existing medical conditions who are medically able to travel at the time the plan is purchased
Travel Scenario: International trips, even if you’re booking through a travel agency, take careful coordination. Say you’ve booked a week-long international cruise—you may want to consider our Premium Plan. Many U.S. health insurance plans don’t cover international travel; should you or any travel companions need emergency medical evacuation, this plan offers the greatest coverage benefits.
Whether you purchase our Standard, Preferred or Premium Plan, having the best travel insurance that addresses your travel needs really pays off when you’re worrying less. And peace of mind is the best investment of all.
*You can qualify for pre-existing medical condition coverage as long as the travel protection plan is purchased prior to or within 24 hours of your final trip payment, you are medically able to travel at the time the plan is purchased and all prepaid trip costs that are subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions have been insured.
** In order to receive that coverage for financial insolvency, the travel insurance plan needs to be purchased prior to or within 24 hours of final trip payment.